Map – See American oil production in the state

The United States relies on a combination of energy sources to fuel energy consumption in various parts of the country.

While this energy mix is ​​still under the control of fossil fuels, there have been signs of a steady transition to renewable energy over the past decade.

Using data from the AIA (Energy Information Management), this radial sanction diagram shows how each energy sector depends on different energy sources.

Energy production and consumption balance

A.D. In 2019 and now by 2020, US domestic energy consumption was higher than consumption – a development that has not been seen since 1957.

Last year’s numbers were severely affected by the COVID-19 epidemic, with a 5% reduction in energy production and a 7% reduction in consumption compared to 2019. Total energy production and consumption for 2020 reached 95.75 and 92.94 quad, respectively.

The energy levels are the same and are known as four billion BTU (in English thermal units), also known as quad. One quad is a huge amount of energy equivalent to 183 million barrels of oil or 36 million tons of coal.

So how is U.S. total energy production and consumption divided between energy sources?

U.S. energy production and consumption share from the source

Power source U.S. Energy Percentage U.S. Energy Consumption Percentage
Fuel 32% 35%
Natural gas 36% 34%
Renewable energy 12% 12%
Charcoal 11% 10%
Nuclear 9% 9%

Source – IEA

The new US energy consumption has helped the country once again become a general energy exporter as the country moves on to a more sustainable and renewable energy source.

Fossil fuels still control U.S. energy consumption

Although the US energy mix is ​​very diverse, 79% of domestic energy consumption still comes from fossil fuels. Fuel consumes more than 90% of the transport sector, and natural gas and fuel account for 74 percent of the industry’s direct energy consumption.

Cheapest fossil fuel, coal consumption, has declined by more than 58% since 2005. Coupled with this declining coal dependency, renewable energy consumption has increased directly for six years, again at a high level by 2020.

However, fossil fuels still account for 79% of US energy consumption, and renewable and nuclear accounting for the remaining 21%. The table below looks at the share of renewable energy sources in 2020.

Distribution of renewable energy sources

Renewable energy source 2020 quadruple energy consumption Role of 2020 Renewable Energy Consumption
Biomas 4.52 39%
Wind 3.01 26%
Hydroelectric 2.55 22%
The sun 1.27 11%
Geothermal 0.23 2%

Source – IEA

Nuclear importance for zero-emission energy transfer

Since nuclear power plays a key role in reducing carbon emissions, not all of the world’s energy resources need to be cleaned up. Uranium is not a technically renewable energy source due to its limited nature;

Nuclear support has been growing steadily, and last year nuclear power generation was the first to receive coal. However, three nuclear power plants, including the New York-India nuclear power plant, will be dismantled in 2021, and a fourth plant is scheduled to retire in 2022.

While other countries may have a large share of nuclear power, the United States still has the world’s largest nuclear power plant and has produced more nuclear power than any other country in the world.

Converting energy to electricity

The energy generated by nuclear power plants does not go directly to the end point, but instead converts 100% of the nuclear energy in the United States into electricity. With nuclear power, most of the energy sources outside of petroleum are converted into electricity.

Unfortunately, electricity transfer is an inequitable process that has lost about 65% of its electricity, transmission and distribution.

This important but wasteful step can be used to store electricity in the form of electricity. Switching to more efficient energy systems is often a form of energy reduction.

A.D. He predicts that energy production and consumption will continue to rise in the United States by 2020. As Biden plans to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 50% (from 2005 emissions) by 2030, US energy consumption will continue to shift from fossil fuels to renewable energy and nuclear energy.

Leave a Comment