Finding a source of hydrogen sulfide gas flow in Whitley is under way

Investigators continue to search for a source of hydrogen sulfide gas, which is believed to have exploded in late August in the city of Hutley, which has two buildings.

Article content

Investigators continue to search for a source of hydrogen sulfide gas, which is believed to have exploded in late August in the city of Hutley, which has two buildings.

Article content

According to media reports, the source of the information released during the October 8 gas leak was typically 300 meters or more below ground level.

The area near the blast site is now stable, but as practice last week, this could change at any time, municipal officials said. Officials say a careful step-by-step process is needed to determine the source of the leak and the appropriate mitigation measures.

“As part of the investigation, we are trying to identify the sources and individual evidence that will point you in the right direction,” said Don Shropshar, chief executive of Chat-Kent. .

He said that this information would allow investigators to “take a closer look at where to find the source.”

“It is very important in this regard,” Schroeder said.

Whitley Technical Team announces plans to install soil vapor monitors at strategic locations near a landfill. That work will help engineers identify the exact location of the source.

Gas control at the station will also continue on time.

The investigation revealed that the gas pipeline was not a source of sewage, but abandoned gas or water wells would continue to be the cause of the investigation.

“One of the possible paths (gas) is to the upper road,” says Shropshire.

Article content

In early June, hydrogen sulfide was found in the city’s North Street building, forcing him to leave homes and businesses immediately. If gas is found in the former sewer, three dozen homes and businesses will be destroyed next month.

On the afternoon of August 26, toxic gas alarms that afternoon raised the alarm that municipal staff and emergency workers were injured 90 minutes later and gave time to evacuate buildings before reaching two buildings.

Last month, the district provided $ 2 million in direct assistance to businesses directly affected in the city center.

However, the eviction order could last up to six months, and municipal officials have promised to work with any displaced families until then.

At this point, there is still no definitive answer as to when people will return to their homes and businesses.

“We are encouraged by the results of the test and the public is looking at the location of the evidence, but they have not yet found the source,” Schroeder said.

eshreve@postmedia.com

Leave a Comment